It may be a pre-recorded video quiz to screen applicants or a formal interview using Skype but technology is well and truly part of today’s recruitment process. Convenient, cost effective and quick, the use of video resumes, particularly for graduate programmes or customer-facing roles is definitely on the increase. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a video interview.
- Plan your location. Lock the door, make sure the cat and dog are outside and tell your family and friends that you are not to be disturbed.
- Check the internet connection. Is the signal strong and reliable? If not choose a different spot. Is your device set up correctly? Check your audio level and make sure your webcam is ON!
- Lighting. Choose a well lit area and check your image is clear and not in shadows. Soft, natural light is best but avoid direct sunlight – the halo effect can be distracting.
- Dress appropriately – PJ’s or active wear may be comfy but will not make a good impression.
- Be prepared – notepad, glass of water and make sure you have some questions ready.
What has been your experience with a video interview? Is this the way of the future for interviews? Let us know what you think.