Summer is knocking on the door, and with it the countdown to your annual summer holiday. Before you completely switch off with lazy days at the beach or by the pool, you find yourself dreaming of quitting your job. AGAIN. Be honest, who hasn’t thought of quitting but decided the time was not quite right? Holidays, a special project, the boss will be away… and so on. There is never a perfect time, but deep down you know it’s time for a new job when…
1. You wake up each morning dreading the day ahead. A toxic work culture can destroy even the most resilient and positive individual. It can be a slow decline into a sense of negativity, but once established, almost impossible to break. Everyone has a bad done sometime, but if this is happening most of the time, listen to that voice inside your head!
2. You have become robotic in your actions. If you find yourself working on automatic pilot most of the time your sense of engagement is in question. If you no longer feel a sense of challenge or achievement, it is time to break free of your comfort zone and explore another opportunity.
3. You fell you are not appreciated or respected. Fanfares and big, elaborate gestures may not be your thing, but if the quiet acknowledgment of your efforts is never forthcoming, then perhaps your contributions would be more appreciated elsewhere.
4. The moral goalposts have changed. Companies evolve and circumstances change, but if you find your own values are being compromised too often, take a stand and align yourself with a new organisation that better reflects your values.
5. You feel unsafe at work. Last on this list, but the most important. NO JOB IS WORTH YOUR SAFETY OR SENSE WELLBEING.
If you can identify with one or more of these, most likely you are overdue for a new job. Work is an important part of our lives, but so too are the other parts. What do you think? Are you ready for a new job?